Gazpacho is a classic summer refresher. This cold soup is delicious as an appetizer, or an entree. And when you dress it up a little bit with grilled shrimp, you’ve turned this into an event to be remembered! Some folks like a little “heat” with their cold soup, so feel free to experiment with adding some extra black pepper, or some hot sauce – or whatever strikes your fancy – it’s your gazpacho, after all!
GAZPACHO WITH GRILLED SHRIMP & CROSTINI
- 1 lb 16/20 or 21/25 peeled and deveined but tail on shrimp*
- 4-5 large tomatoes chunked but ½ cup in small dice and reserved
- 1 small English cucumber, peeled, seeded & chunked with ¼ cup in small dice and reserved
- 1 red pepper, stem and seeds cut out and cut into chunks
- 1 shallot quartered
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 tbsps red wine vinegar
- ⅓ cup extra virgin olive oil plus more for the shrimp and for drizzling
- 1 small baguette cut into ½-1 inch slices
- Tsp kosher salt plus more for shrimp
* Shrimp is often noted with numbers like 16/20 or 41/50. This tells you the range of number of that size shrimp you will find in a pound. Smaller numbers mean bigger sized shrimp.
Toss the shrimp with a few tsps of olive oil and salt and pepper. Brush both sides of the bread slices with oil. Turn the grill on to medium high/high. When it is heated up, place the shrimp on the grill and let cook for about 2 minutes. Turn over and cook one minute more. Remove from the grill and reserve. Grill the bread for about 3 minutes per side on an indirect heat portion of the grill. Place all the other ingredients except for the bread and reserved tomatoes and cucumber in a blender and blend on high until smooth. Pour into bowls, top with some of the diced tomatoes and cucumbers, place a few shrimp and a slice of grilled bread on top and drizzle with oil.